Underground Service Specifications
PES will furnish or provide underground primary and secondary distribution facilities subject to the following requirements:
A. Developer or owner shall be responsible for all ditching and backfilling associated with the installation of underground primary and secondary distribution lines.
B. All underground primary and secondary distribution lines installed by PES shall be in conduit. Developer or owner shall provide and install the complete conduit system for the underground primary and secondary cables.
1. All conduits for underground primary cables shall be either Schedule 80 PVC or rigid conduit, except that all elbows shall be constructed of rigid galvanized steel. The size of the conduits shall be three inches and each conduit will contain one single-phase cable unless otherwise specified by PES.
2. PES will furnish and install underground secondary conductors for single-phase residential applications only. All conduits for underground secondary cables shall be Schedule 80 PVC or rigid conduit. The size and number of conduits shall be determined by PES.
3. Conduits for underground primary cables shall be installed at a depth of not less than 42 inches below final grade. Conduits for underground secondaries shall be installed at a depth of not less than 30 inches below final grade. Conduits for underground secondary or service conductors may be installed in the same ditch as conduits for primary cables provided that the primary conduits are on the bottom of the ditch. Conduits in a common ditch must have a minimum of 12 inches vertical fill between them, and a depth of not less than 30 inches below final grade must be maintained for the secondary or service conduits.
4. PES shall be consulted prior to ditching to determine the proper routing of the conduits. It is also required that a representative of PES inspect the conduit installation before it is covered. Foreign matter (bricks, concrete blocks, boards, bottles, trash etc.) shall not be placed in ditches. Large rocks shall not be used within 12 inches of the conduits. The developer or owner shall be responsible for installing plastic warning tape furnished by PES 12 to 18 inches above the conduits during backfilling.
5. Where underground primary or secondary lines will originate from overhead distribution facilities, all conduits will be installed on stand-off brackets of unistrut and must all be installed on one side of the pole. Spacing of the conduit supports shall not exceed five feet with one support within 12 inches of the top of the conduit. All conduits for electrical cables must be installed up the pole to a point no farther than 18 inches from the PES system neutral. If requested by the developer or owner, PES will assist in the installation of the conduit up the pole in the vicinity of energized conductors.
6. Spare conduits will be installed where requested by PES.
C. Developer or owner shall be responsible for pouring concrete transformer pads as required. Gravel backfill shall be used in all ditches within three feet of pad locations. PES will provide drawings of pad details.
D. Developer or owner shall be responsible for preparing foundations for sectionalizing equipment or secondary vaults as required. Gravel backfill shall be used in all ditches within three feet of these locations. PES will furnish dimensions for these foundations.
E. Developer or owner shall be required to execute a contract prior to commencement of work by PES that makes provision to pay PES the cost differential between standard overhead construction and the additional costs incurred by PES in providing underground primary distribution. Payment for this cost differential will be as provided by PES Operating Policy 2-26.